Vintage Jewelry and Craft Supply! Chic vintage glass and lucite cabochons, Czech glass beads, Vintage set stones, Brass filigree and stampings, Austrian crystals and more!

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Frosty the Snowman DIY Tutorial - Dollar Tree Crafting

I love snow, I think that is because having spent my entire 52 years in North Texas snow has always been a rare occurrence, so when it does snow it seems like a little miracle creating a landscape covered in cold fairy dust.  I can probably count on two hands the times we've had enough snow to make a true snowman, top hat, scarf and all!


My holiday decorations include an entire room of snowmen and snow decor,  my own little snow fairy land. And during another covert trip to the Dollar Tree I found the supplies to create this cute little Frosty the Snowman!
                                                                                                                  
  
2 packages Styrofoam Balls, red floral wire, plastic snowflake ornaments, ribbon, plastic candy cane ornaments, silver glitter small snowflakes
Items I already had on hand: cotton balls, buttons, small Styrofoam coffee cup, black glitter card stock, snow glitter, felt, glue, glue gun and clear spray

Take three of the Styrofoam balls, cut the bottom on the largest flat on one side, the middle ball cute flat on 2 sides, attach the 3 balls with a glue gun.  Once the stack is dry un roll your cotton balls (the cheap cotton balls are best for this) and glue over the Styrofoam stack with a glue gun.  Make a mixture of 2 parts white glue & 1 part water paint this mixture over the cotton ball covered stack, now snow glitter away!

I let this dry an entire day and then sprayed with a clear coat to make sure that most of the glitter stayed on the snowman.

While that was drying I started working on the top hat.  I cheated a little on this and used a small Styrofoam coffee cup as my base for the top hat.  Remove the bottom of the cup and then cut the height of the cup down.

   

Using the black glitter paper cover the cup, see above, then cut out the rim and top of the hat.  Simply assemble this with glue.  I found that for this the glue gun did not work well, I would suggest another strong fast drying glue.  Once the hat was dry, trim with ribbon, and little holly leaves from felt and red beads for berries and snow glitter.

Once the snowman body is dry attach to the plastic white snowflake ornament,add the ribbon scarf, buttons and the wire arms.  The face was created with 2 Victorian shoe buttons, hole punches from the black glitter paper and a cone of orange felt.

I think he turned out pretty darn cute!
Happy Holidays and Happy Crafting!
Linking-up With:

27 comments:

  1. I love the snowmen, yours are so cute. Well done! Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! My girls will love making these with me. Thanks for sharing the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is pretty darn cute, I'm gonna have to make these myself. I never knew you could unroll cotton balls? Gosh where have I been. Thanks for showing us how to make. Thanks for sharing over at Sunday's Best. It's always great to see what you've been up to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, you have now become the queen of amazing dollar store crafts! This is SOOOO CUTE! You inspired me to create my own dollar store snow globe/cake stand, which I haven't quite finished yet. And now I want to make one of these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, they are sooo cute, I absoltely love them! I'm a new follower, please drop by when you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is to stinken cute. I love the top hat. I would love for you to join my weekly linky. Fri-monday come strut your stuff. (etsy welcome too)
    http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/11/christmas-tree-craft.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is super cute! Thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower via Creative Blogger Party and Hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. TOOO STINKIN CUTE!!!! I am your newest follower!!! Hope you will come take a look at my CHAOS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I'm a sucker for snowmen and I am so impressed by this little guy! great work, thanks for sharing the how-to. found you over at Sue Bee Crafts ... come visit, @ http://robinlynnsroad.blogspot.com/2011/11/tis-season.html
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute. Thank you for linking to Totally Tutorial Tuesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - love your snowman! Your newest follower, Karima

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, I cannot even tell you how much I LOVE this cute little snowman!? I'm adding it to my winter pinterest board. It gives me warm fuzzies!!!
    : ) Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your snowman is so cute! I grew up in Southeast Texas, so I know what you mean about not enough snow to make a snowman.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute, cute, cute!
    hugs and happy holidays from Savannah, Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. He is such a cutie! I can't believe the supplies you used... I would have never guessed the cup! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderfully adorable! Love the way you did the hat. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't believe how cute this snowman is! You did such a great job! I'd love for you to share with my readers if you have a moment. Thanks so much for sharing! http://www.momontimeout.com/2011/11/taking-timeout-thursday-no-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yeah! I just pinned this too! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My little girl would find this guy mesmerizing.

    Thank-you so much for joining our Pin'Inspiration party. Would love for you to hop over and grab a button.

    Happy follower.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Posted on Facebook! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh wow oh wow oh wow! Thanks for sharing this with us! What a GREAT snowman! Would you please share this with my readers for Fun Stuff Fridays linky party? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2011/12/fun-stuff-fridays-2.html

    ReplyDelete