Vintage Jewelry and Craft Supply! Chic vintage glass and lucite cabochons, Czech glass beads, Vintage set stones, Brass filigree and stampings, Austrian crystals and more!

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Shabby Chic Altered Candle & Candle Holder Tutorial

Happy Saturday everyone, I hope that you all have enjoyed all the wonderful crafts featured on Alyssabeths this week and that you've had time to check out the other crafters at the Girl Creative and the other co-hosting blogs!

You never know where you will find inspiration, I had my mind set on one thing and then wandered into Ross where I found these wonderful cut glass coasters, 4 for $4.99!  I also happened to have 4 of those great candle sticks from the Dollar Tree, yes I hoard them because if you wait until you need them they won't be there.

Supplies:
Set of 4 coasters $4.99
4 clear candle sticks $1.00 each
4 Vanilla pillar candles $1.00 each
Silver Glitter Snowflake Ornaments
Sheet music paper
Vintage Lace
Ribbon
Modpodge
E-6000 glue
Glitter


If course I couldn't leave the candles plain, so I painted Modpodge on each candle and sprinkled with glitter and let them dry for 24 hours.
While those were drying I decided to go ahead and create the candle holder.  I first had to remove the stickers from each coaster and candle stick, so I went ahead and hand washed each piece.  One those were nice and dry I glued the candle sticks and coasters together using E-6000 glue, love this stuff it's extra sturdy and drys crystal clear.
 
Ok so now that the glittered pillar candles are dry it's time to decorate!  I cut strips of the sheet music scrapbook paper with a pretty edge (tip - I make copies of this particular paper because I use it so much, this is much cheaper than buying it over and over), wrap around the candle and glue down the ends with Elmers glue. 
Over that wrap vintage or vintage looking lace, and then with ribbon simply tie your ornament on!  Oh by the way, these are metal snowflake ornaments and measure about 2" across, I got a package of 10 for half off of $2.99 at Hobby Lobby.
And there you have it, a very elegant and frugal and very..... Shabby Chic pillar candle and fancy candle holder.  Great for a one of a kind and elegant hostess gift, Christmas gift or even for yourself!  Mine... are going to 4 of my friends at work!

As always, Happy Holidays and Happy Crafting!
Beth

CREATING_CHRISTMAS_BANNER_jpg
As we wrap up Creating Christmas week I hope that you have all been inspired to stop pinning and start creating! I’m excited to see what everyone has been working on. This Christmas Linky Party is no ordinary party. This is a blog hop. And what that means is that there are 18 FABULOUS bloggers that are hosting this party at their very own blog. Whether you add your project link here or at any of the other 17 co-hosts blogs, it will show up on one huge party list! Awesome!
If you haven’t already, please take the time out to visit the other co-hosts and go through their Creating Christmas posts. There is some really neat projects!
The Rules are SiMpLe:
  • Add a link to a project that YOU have created!
  • Visit the 2 links ahead of you and check out what they’ve got going on. Leave some comment love. Tis the season for giving after all. {wink wink}
  • HAVE FUN AND BE INSPIRED!!

9 comments:

  1. Hey girl! So fun to be co-hosting with you and The Girl Creative!! Merry Christmas!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those are just too cute! I love that all of your stuff so far is inexpensive, creative, and oh so elegant. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so pretty! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your candles look amazing. So very gorgeous. I think I may give them a try. Time to get some more glitter and candles.
    I love the Dollar Tree, too.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the candle and candle holder, beautiful! I had to feature it on my blog...check it out!

    http://itsrusticliving.blogspot.com/2011/12/thrifty-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea - so simple, and yet very elegant! Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by! I absolutely love your candle and candle holder! Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for linking your gorgeous candle holder to "What's It Wednesday". So creative!
    Hope to see you again this week!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home! Have a very Merry Christmas!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete